Tuesday 1 July 2008

Reflections on Psalm 2

Verse 1: Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?

Verse 2: The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One.

From these 2 verses, it showed me that the very people that God had come to save are the ones that turned against Him. However, from verse 1, it has shown me that all the kings and the nations and its people have plotted in vain against Our Sovereign King. The two words "in vain" in verse 1 sums it all. The world we live in is the place where Satan operates. Satan does not operate in Heaven because he does not belong there. However, he works on this world. The kings of the earth gathered against the Lord and His Anointed One, who is Jesus Christ.

However, the Sovereignty and great power of our Lord is revealed to me from verse 4 and 5. He is a Just God. His character incorporates the element of Just and Wrath. God is love. That is truth. He is merciful and full of grace, yet we must also remember that He is a God of justice as well.

Verse 4: The One enthroned in heaven laughs, the Lord scoffs at them.

Verse 5: Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath saying . . .

Our God is a Just God.

Yet in His wrath against those who oppose Him, God's love and mercy is also showed in this Psalm.

Verse 7: He said to me, "You are my Son, today I have become your Father.

Verse 8: Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.

Verse 9: You will rule them with an iron scepter

From verse 7 to 9, it showed what He has install for us. What He wants to give us. He will make the nations our inheritance. That to me is a GREAT prize and it just shows the amount of love He has for me. All i need to do is ask Him. I will get the nations as my inheritance and the ends of the earth my possession. He simple said, "Ask of me". WOW. He is so full of grace and SO SO generous.

Verse 11: Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.

Verse 12: Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. You will dash them to pieces like pottery."

To me, God is a great gentleman. He gives us a choice. He will never force us. In this Psalm, He has showed us both sides. One, where we can get nations as our inheritance and the ends of the earth our possession. The other side, be destroyed.

God is both a loving AND a just God. We have to understand both sides of His character and not just one side.

For me, these characters of God reminds me in my daily life, that I have to constantly make a choice. He will tell me something that He wants me to do, but I have to partner Him by obeying Him. That is why Obedience is better than sacrifice. It is a partnership with Him. And He has showed both sides of the outcome I will get. He has provided very clearly, the outcomes and answers. The ball is now in my court.

Will I take refuge in Him and be blessed and proclaim the Lord's decree, or will I go on my own ways?

P.S: One thing I am still asking the Holy Spirit --> In verse 11, it says "rejoice with trembling". How do we rejoice and yet tremble? What does this mean? I am still processing and asking Him. If any of you have any insights, do share ok?

Chris

1 comment:

History Maker said...

Chris,

To rejoice with trembling - could it suggest that we watch our lives with God as in to guard our hearts daily.

As suggest by the study bible: v11 & 12 - To "kiss the Son" means to surrender fully and submit to him. Christ is not only God's chosen King, he is also the rightful King of our hearts and lives. To be ready for his coming, we must submit to his leadership every day.

fear (v11) - refers to reverent awe.
trembling (v11) - suggest that we live life in submission to God.

wonder if it makes sense. do reply my comment k?

Be Blessed!