Tuesday 15 July 2008

Reflections on Psalm 2

I wanted to save a draft of this entry and continue it later, but apparently it wasn't saved, so I've to rewrite it.



The first thing I see is that God is powerful and mighty, Lord over all, completely impervious to the ways of men yet not unaware of them (verses 1-6). Yet He is also exceedingly loving and generous (verses 7-9). I am amused at the contrasts the psalmist presents - the God who rebukes and scoffs at people in power who plot against Him and rebel against His decrees, is the same God who says He would give us the nations if we asked Him.

When you think about these people in power as described in the psalm - all those kings and rulers, right? Aren't they the same people who would want nations to conquer and rule?

Simply put, everything in this world rightfully belongs to God. He created it and rules over everything in it, and the reason why man gets to decide anything at all is because He allows it. If God is happy to grant us the nations when we ask of Him, it means we are allowed to desire the nations! He is not pleased however, when we resort to scheming and conspiracies to fulfil our desires like the kings and rulers described earlier, because then we completely disregard who He is, and His relation to us / our relation to Him.



My interpretation of verses 10-12 for life application is never lose sight of the greatness of God.

There are a few ways to look at it. One is that nothing is impossible with God. We may present God with our bold, even crazy "are-you-insane??" requests, and have faith that He will grant us all that we ask for. After all, they're probably nothing compared to the nations, right?

Another perspective is one of reverence and awe of God. Even respect, yes that might be appropriate too. He is above us in every way, even our lives and our deaths are set by Him, our own character and personality were all His ideas. So really, who are we to turn against Him or away from Him? Even if He has given us the free will to do so, should we still do it?

Lastly, it is also a personal reminder for myself, that immense joy and fulfilment may be found in submitting to His ways and His desires. I've found that out at least once. After all, He's got me all figured out (so to speak), and He loves me, so things do work out, sometimes better than expected. Along the way, I may have gone through many things I would've rather not experienced in doing so, and it's probably my own subjective and short-sighted opinion as to whether or not they were necessary. But I definitely wouldn't want to change anything God's already done in me, and I'm pretty sure I can continue saying that. Even if I don't feel like it at times.

No comments: