Saturday 12 July 2008

Psalm 3 - Marcus

But you are a shield around me, O Lord

A traditional shield can only cover one side of the person, and only to a limited extent. But the Word says that God is a shield around me - that means that His protection is complete, and encircles me, hedges me in. what a beautiful promise, that God offers complete and holistic protection. He looks out for my complete being. He sees things that I don't see, He perceives things that I can't perceive. Even whilst David, the psalmist, was facing a popular uprising against him led by his own son, he could still walk without fear because he knew that the Lord protected him completely. Therefore I too can live without fear or worry that the challenges i face in life will overwhelm me - I can trust in the Lord to protect me and guard me in all circumstances.

you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

Even as David was being shamed and ridiculed by his opponents, he knew that the Lord's glory rested on him, and that he did not have to live in shame for the things he has done, or in shame for the things that people say he has done. His glory and pride is in the Lord, who washes him clean and is his righteousness and strength. Likewise, I need not live in fear of what falsehoods others may say about me, or may think about me, neither do I have to live in shame from my mistakes. I can live completely free because Jesus has set me free to lift my head and look upon the Lord's face in awe and wonder. I can live completely free because Jesus is my righteousness - Jesus has won my righteousness on the cross. I can worship and sing and dance in the presence of the Lord because He has set me free!

To the Lord i cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill

God is a God who answers prayer - He does not remain silent. And even if i perceive Him to be silent, it is because He has already spoken and I did not listen. I know that when I take my prayers, my fear, my joy, my anxieties, my praise to God, He responds. Likewise, when we worship Him, He responds as well!

I lie down and sleep; i wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

There are so many mornings that I don't feel like waking up - either because I'm not looking forward to work, or because I'm just so tired, drained and exhausted that I just don't have the strength to get out of bed. But somehow I find the strength to get up and go out - and that is completely because the Lord sustains me. Just as He sustained David during his time of trial, He sustained me during mine - and He continues to sustain me every morning when I wake. He is my strength and my shield, He gives me hope for a better today and a brighter tomorrow. And because He has set me free, He has loved me so, I am able to wake again!

No comments: