Sunday 10 August 2008

Reflections on Psalms 4

This psalm is often considered as a prayer for relief after a calamity. To me, though I'm not going through a period of distress or calamity, it is an assurance to know that God will always hear me when I call out to him (v3). Sometimes, I run out of patience when I ask God for something, some truth, some justice to be instilled, but yet I 'see' (physically) nothing happening. My tendency is to then take charge and work it out on my own. I find that my lack of patience can be a potential hindrance from seeing God's answers revealed in my life. And this lack of trust and tendency to be self-sufficient is something I need to work on.

(v4)'In your anger do not sin, when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent.'
It is always a timely reminder or even warning to me regarding what I should do or not do when in anger; not anger in explosive spurts but mostly brewing displeasure/s that can be equally lethal. I am an escapist by nature and often shy away from confrontations of all sorts, and as a result, I do realise that I tend not to want to search my heart to discover my naked feelings as they make me real uncomfortable and uneasy. This verse reminds me to face up to the 'search' process that will allow me to be transparent with God, albeit an uneasy task. But I believe this step is crucial so that I don't harbour bitter sentiments that may brew and even fester into something worse. I'm reminded of the need to make right with God in terms of my every emotion and even the people that I may have been offended or whom I have offended.

Sharon

No comments: