Sunday 24 August 2008

Razi Grew!

After a tiring rehearsal with Vertical Rush, we were ready to pack up and head off for dinner when Jean - who was helping out on vocals with us - suddenly said we should pray for Razi - who is a longtime friend of ours and who also runs the practice studios that we rehearse at.

Now I have to tell you what mental state i was in. I was pretty grouchy by the time practice was over. I had to wake up a bit early in the morning (anytime before lunchtime on Sunday is early for me), and practice was pretty rough. We only managed to run through a third of the songs we wanted to do and we wasted a lot of time. Not only that, for some reason my guitar amp wouldn't work, and I had to drag another amp in from the other studio. To make matter worse, the vocals PA kept feeding back, my guitar sounded really awful and I ended up getting more and more frustrated through practice. By the time we ended practice, i was literally ready to bite someone's head off!

in any case, i gathered up what little was left of my good humour and head out with jean and esmond, not quite knowing what to expect, or what i was going to get myself into. we bundle razi out of the noisy studio into the *scape corridor. we make esmond and razi stand side by side and mark their arms with a sharpie.



after that, jean, esmond and myself laid hands on razi's legs and start to pray some really simple prayers. all this while my right brain was going like, oh man what if this doesn't work?!? sure very malu - not just for us but for Jesus as well. then my left brain was like - oh, even if there's a difference it'll probably be parallax error or something that could be rationalised away.

such a man of faith i am.

anyway even as we are praying, i could feel razi's leg growing. i laid my hand on his kneecap and notice its positioned right over the edge of the couch he was sitting on. when we finished praying for him, it looked like his knee was clear of the edge of the couch. i'm still thinking it might be parallax error at this point.

when we get esmond and razi to stand side by side, the results are just absolutely mind-boggling.



no way that could be parallax error. thank you Jesus. thank you Jesus. You've just totally taken me to school again about what living in faith really means.

back to the story: i basically went ballistic at that point. i totally had no clue that the results would be so clear, so obvious. in hindsight, its easy to say "duh, of course it would be this obvious. i mean, its GOD we're talking about right?" but at the time i was just going "WHOA!" at the top of my voice. i was completely stunned!


i think razi is still in a state of shock at how much he's grown! we said good bye and we hugged - as we did that i prayed for him again, and i could just feel him shaking and i could feel his heart racing.

this totally made my day. and i hope it did for razi too.

No comments: