Monday 11 June 2007

Up and Away to Redding

Dearest beloved team,

I'm just hours away from getting on the plane to leave for Redding, California (USA) to attend School of Supernatural Worship in Bethel Church. Those of you curious to find out exactly what this school is may click here.

I'd like to share my reflections and expectations about this trip, which I believe comes timely. When I tell people about me going for this summer school programme that focuses on "supernatural worship", the 2 most common responses I received were:

1) "I thought you're in youth ministry now, why are you attending a worship conference?"
2) "Haa..... supernatural worship.....? What's that?"

These simple responses triggered my thoughts and beliefs about ministry, church and worship of God. However it was also a reminder for me to focus on what's important. Above all things, I want to worship God, and to lead others to do the same.

Some years ago when I had spent a period of time leading worship in church, I started to think really hard about what it means to be a worship leader. There was something in me that refused to accept that worship leading is only about being good in music, singing and choosing the right songs for the right time. It wasn't even about having the Holy Spirit move whenever I lead, even though I absolutely love it when He does! After some time of soul-searching and Word-searching, this verse helped to consolidate my thoughts:

Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

With this verse, "worship as a lifestyle" made sense. If I were to offer my body as a living sacrifice that is holy and pleasing to God, that is my act of worship. Therefore when I "lead worship", it is in this order:

1) I worship God in every part of my life
2) I worship God when leading people to do the same
3) I worship God with my musical and leadership abilities
4) I worship God when standing on the platform and using song and music to lead people to worship Him

What this means is I am more than a worship leader confined by music and platforms, but I am a worship leader IN LIFE, with the sole purpose of leading people to worship God. So when I attend School of Supernatural Worship, I am first a worshipper and when I am worshipper that pleases God, I can then be able to "test and approve what God's will is" for myself and every part of my life, including my role as a youth pastor. I'm excited and looking forward to a time of refreshing and revelation as I worship God during School of Supernatural Worship.

As for the 2nd response - it's almost a no-brainer because worship IS supernatural and we must know that. Is there such a thing as "natural worship"? I don't believe so, because worship is about WHO you worship. Our God is supernatural, so our worship must be supernatural too!

The next 3 weeks are going to be a great time of refreshing, revelation and building relationships for me. Please keep me and John, Ps Edwin, Chris and Paul Seow in prayer as well. I will miss you all and do have fun worshipping God as a team!

luv,
jenn

1 comment:

History Maker said...

Jenn and all,

Hope you are enjoying yourselves!
The Children Ministry Worship Workshop was a success! =)

Will be updating this blog and my blog for more info.

=)

Be Blessed!