Tuesday 23 January 2007

In the eyes of God

It was during the Youth Baptism service that I witnessed something really special. So special that I felt it in the most powerful way in my heart and I cried. I couldn't help it... I just cried. This can only be because of I felt God's love for another person and it is very much the same love that He has for everyone of us no matter what our condition is. No matter who we are, what we used to be, where we came from, how rich, poor, fat, thin, good looking or scared ugly. He loves us just the same. Words fail me to express how and what the love of God feels like. It must be experienced.

So this is what happened:
There was this one guy who was getting baptised and what's really special about him was that he is not just like anyone of us, blessed with the ability to be mobile by ourselves, or be able to speak with fluency. He needs to be aided by someone to stand and walk. He struggles to utter a sentence coherently. It takes great effort on his part to do something that we all can do with so much ease.
My heart leap with intense joy when he struggled on his own to respond to the pastor these words " I turn to Christ" What got me crying was when he with the help of his dad, walked all the way up and into the baptism pool to get baptised. It was awesome and I was somehow trying to contain that emotion cos I was wondering why on earth am I crying for?
It's only a few hours later as I begun thinking of it and still having the emotional manifestation, that I realised with a deep appreciation of how much God loves us and beams with so much pride when we take great effort in our frailness and weakness to honor Him the best way possible.

I am reminded that our lives are so intertwined with so much stuffs that at times, we become so dysfunctional and we can't express ourselves logically, rationally and coherently. There are times when we struggle to stand on own two feet, feeling immobilised. We are broken and are in so much need of Someone who can meet our every needs. I am encouraged to know that whatever broken stage we are in, we can with perserverance and with the help of others around us, we can be overcomers, we can be restored, we can be renewed and we can become new once again, all because God is for us. All because God loves us dearly.

Hebrews 12:1-3:
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Philippians 3:12-14 :
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

Flat Cat said...

Juz, I totally know what you mean... I was holding back my own tears as I saw Reuel in the queue and when he finally stepped into the pool, it was such an intense emotional and spiritual experience. It was indeed a special moment even for me, as it was my first time baptising people and I had the awesome privilege of baptising Reuel. How amazing and humbling too... that physically some of us may be normal, but in our hearts we're often more handicapped when it comes to drawing close to God. May we also be 100% dependent on Him!

History Maker said...

Yah, as I was looking at Jenn baptising Reuel, in my heart, I was like "Go for it!". It was intense as I'm really encouraged by him.

How much more handicapped are our hearts? I believe as we allow Jesus to search our hearts, we will break free from our worldly lifestyle and understand how handicapped we were.

Be Blessed!